Thursday, April 14, 2011

You're using Social Media...So you can stop spamming me now #SocialEmpire

Picture_4

I am very pro- social media and new media marketing strategies, therefore I believe in being very involved in every aspect of social media that interests me. I belong to a variety of Social Networking oriented online groups, some very traditional, some very informal and one is just everything you could imagine from a Networking Group, #SocialEmpire.


Socialempire

The group is Facebook Group based, new and originated from the game Empire Avenue. I am one of the Admins of the group,  I have found it to be one of the most engaged groups that I am involved with and I am Admin of upwards of 15 pretty active Facebook Groups.

So a quick bit about Empire Avenue , it's a game that allows you to put a number, figure and or analytic on your Social Media engagement and activity. Needless to say those that are involved in this are at the top of their social media games.

So, yesterday one of my fellow admins posted a question. It referenced old school marketing techniques and bad habits finding a way into new media marketing platforms. In a nutshell, the question was "Why would someone spam a social media channel?" This opened up an amazing thread of dialogue on new media vs traditional marketing methods. Are we really embracing it as we should? I've found that there are three different types of marketers:

  • New Media, engage your readers, open the door to dialogue and have a conversation with your followers.
  • Old school #Fails at New Media, use social media to spam the company message. Can I say #Fail enough on this method.


Which type of marketer are you? Have you embraced New Media Marketing, by opening the door to social media? Are you still doing it old school, cold calls, direct mail? Or are you wallowing in the ultimate #Fail of dragging old school mentalities into New Media and jeopardizing your brands identity by spamming your message?

What are your thoughts? Well, as usual I welcome your opinion, good, bad, ugly or indifferent. Feel free to comment here or post directly on my Facebook Wall.

 

1 comment: